Wednesday 23 May 2007

WALK, WALK, WALK!

In many places the age of someone considered to be a senior citizen is 55. That seems awfully young to me! Nonetheless.......so be it.

Mama used to say, "Be nice to the elderly, for it is you in the future." Makes sense to me. Time scoots by quickly, and if we are lucky, and work at it a bit, we can live to be a senior citizen and a healthy one at that.
This morning I went for a brisk walk. At the end of the walk I saw three cheerywomen setting up a table. There were sheets of information being placed on the table, and all sorts of things. I was just too curious to pass by without asking: "What is all this?"

Come to find out, they were there to celebrate a fitness walk for seniors. They were loaded with information, other "goodies" and a calendar of events for seniors that included classes to stay fit and limber. Many of the classes were free, and some just a minimal cost.

These women were obviously motivated and absolutely charming. I asked if they might pose for a photo so I could share it with you. WHAT A GREAT THING TO DO....help people stay fit and healthy. As I've said before, you know you only have one body to live in - cherish it!

I was without a pen or pencil and the name of the group they represented flew away the moment I got into traffic. I called the park all day to get a name, but the gentleman who could tell me never came back into the office.

So "ladies of the walk". I apologize. I don't know your names either, but won't forget your great smiles and dedicated motivation.

I do want to honor what you are doing and suggest to everyone in the blog world (no matter what age) remember to MOVE. Walk, skip, jump, glide, hop, side step, do retro-walks, just MOVE. Your body will work so much better for you when you take care of it.

When you walk, breathe! Enjoy these moments of your life and the beautiful summer by getting outside and taking care of yourself! Do it! :)

No comments: