Sunday 13 May 2007

Happy Mother's Day to ALL Mothers

Before I begin a post dedicated to my mama, who has been gone now over nine years,
if you have lost a child, or know of someone who has, please send them to read the post for them at http://marshaobrien.wordpress.com

To Mama, with love.

I love you. I always will. You were an exceptional mama to me, and one to many other children in your world. I honor you by remembering a few of the things you did to change my life forever. Your spirit of love lives brightly in my heart.

You taught me about God and Jesus, a gift I have treasured throughout my life. You taught me about unconditional love, and gave it freely to me every day you were with me.

You loved my children and proved it time and time again.

You taught me how to step into another man's moccasins, and how to truly forgive. You stepped in my shoes and by doing so helped me get out of a deep hole I was digging for myself.

You rescued me, more than once, from abuse inflicted by others and by myself.

You never judged me, or anyone. You helped even strangers. You were a protector of the underdog and encouraged me to stay firm in what I believed.

You gave me a spirit of adventure and I always knew I could count on you.

You told me there were two things I could always count on. God and love. You were right. Both truly never fail.

You took me in when I was struggling, listened when I went on a rampage, counseled me when I'd been hurt. Though sometimes I pretended not to listen, I always did.

You were an example of how to live with terrible pain gracefully. You taught me about aging, and were an example of how to rise about the loss of a loved one.

You built me up no matter how life tried to tear me down. You made me know the joy of giving. You gave of yourself and your bounty, with no expectation of a return.

You taught me to be tough and bounce back. You taught me how to stay healthy and strong through nutrition and movement. You were ahead of your time.

When I was in need of anything, or deep in despair, you would appear, like an angel.
Positive, packed with problem solving ideas, you would do do anything to help, and always offering hugs and a hand to hold.

You reminded me to laugh and never let a challenge in life overcome me.

.....and towards the end, you said: "I can bear the pain, and it will be worthwhile if we can share what we've learned about osteoporosis with other woman, to deter and perhaps diminish their pain." You were selfless.

Your consistent love and dedication as a mother has sustained me through out my life,even after your passing.

I remember your words written in the diary I asked you to keep for the family.

"The only things that count in life are the imprints of love which we leave behind us after we are gone."

My little mama....... Marjorie Grace Phillips Walker (1916 - 1998)

No comments: