Tuesday 24 April 2007

More on walking......

I wasn't kidding about walking and the benefits you can get from even just a short walk. Some of the perks I didn't speak about are such things as seeing new bright green leaves on the trees, a vast array of colors and flowers bursting on the scene, spring fragrances permeating the air, and so much more.

If you are close to water you may see Canadian geese strutting around or gliding in the water. The males loudly protesting your presence, while the females tend to the little ones. The sound of the birds singing to us and each other is so varied and lovely, and the variety of birds flying from tree to tree is unbelievable.

All these things will add to your bundle of "stress management and relaxation techniques." What wonderful ways to distract yourself from problems for a few moments.Take the dog for a walk. Find a bench and sit for a while. Pet the dog and you will enjoy the sights and sounds, and relax from just his companionship. It's been proven petting an animal is a stress management technique!

If you are not so fortunate as to have these things available for you to enjoy, I
hope you will read and then close your eyes and visualize them. Take in a breath
and imagine the sounds and smells of spring in my corner of the world.

I practice what I preach, so yesterday I took a walk in a nearby area designated for just that. There are several different walks. I chose one that was only one and three quarters mile, but it was perfect for the day and the time I could allot.

I saw so many of the things I spoke of above, and more.....wildflowers cascading down hillsides and tall grass blowing like velvet in the breeze. I was grateful for the time to slow down a bit (and knew I was helping the body I live in too!).

I think the most precious thing I saw yesterday is reflected in the photo I posted with this writing. I heard voices and came up behind a small child and a gray haired gentleman with suspenders. I couldn't resist taking the photo. After all, it is beautiful sight to see the joining of hands between two humans.

I moved in front of them and introduced myself and asked who the young gentleman was.
He was, indeed, the grandson. "I'm almost four" he said. Grandpa was closer to somewhere in his sixties.

The child had sunglasses on and was very enthusiastic about the walk. The grandpa was taking smaller steps, and his time. It was a lovely sight and made my heart feel great. Take advantage of the time with your young ones, they grow up faster than you think!

As I moved a head I heard in the background, "Grandpa, can I ride on your shoulders?"
I smiled and thought how glad I was I had chosen to walk today!

MAKE the time to take a walk, help your body and mind, and see what you discover along the way!

No comments: