Friday 13 April 2007

Animal Rescue and knowledge gained!

I went to an animal rescue group to see some of the wild animals rescued. There were many, and folks volunteered to care for them until they could return to the wild - or some, unable to return, were adopted.

I always thought I hated scavenger birds - vultures. I thought they were awful. It was a stress I held within when I saw them. "Horrible birds", I thought.

This gathering changed my mind. I was harboring feels of unrest about the birds every time I saw them, UNTIL I actually learned about them!

The vulture in the photo was rescued 5 years ago and the couple in the photo adopted him then. He actually is friendly, affectionate, and has been a wonderful pet for the couple. I learned that the holes in his nose are to smell for food. They are the only bird that has that sense-the sense of smell. They smell the dead, and that is their only food. They aren't hunters and would die without that sense. They also eat diseased carcasses.

After spending time talking with the couple, and actually seeing the bird close up, I realized that it was only because I didn't know WHY the bird ate the dead that I was pent up about the emotion I felt about them. That stressor is gone and I now have appreciation for the birds.

No comments: