Friday 20 April 2007

Mirror, Mirror, on the wall....

I used to think mirrors were thought of by some evil force to torture us
as we age. Have you ever gotten up in the morning and had an abrupt experience
as you passed a mirror? Have you ever felt terrific and walked by a mirror only to
notice you have a huge blemish? Or that you look 20 years older than you feel?
I surely have, at least on one occasion!

Recently I read an article by Ardath Rodale, author of such books as Reflections and Gifts of the Spirit, andis Chairman of the Board of Rodale Inc. She gave me new insight on mirrors and because it is valuable, I would like to share it with you.

Often when I’ve looked into a mirror I not liked, nor appreciated what I’ve
seen. Sometimes I’ve even cringed and made faces at myself to show my own private disapproval.

Ardath reminded me we take our mirrors for granted. We often glance at our reflection, or critique it, be do we ever really see “ourselves"?

I think this was a great eye opener for me. Now when I look in the mirror I am “in training”. I am creating new brain cell impressions that appreciate seeing the human body that still works wonders for me.

I look in the mirror in the morning and smile at myself, knowing that smiling feels better, and creates less wrinkles than frowning!

I talk to myself. “Oh I am glad you still have another day to do the best that you can.” “I am glad to be me as I’ve had so many good experiences and there are more to come.”

“Look you, don’t be so critical of yourself. Pick out your good points and ponder on them - like you would do for others.”

It has totally changed my prospective on mirrors. I don’t worry so much about my looks as realize that the look on my face can change my heart and own feelings - and those of others. A smile is worth a million dollars - even if it’s YOU smiling back at you!

Try it. You’ll learn to love it!

No comments: