Sunday 10 June 2007

Don't forget to stay hydrated in the summer heat!

For a human to stay hydrated, means your body chemistry combines chemically with water molecules. Water molecules are chemically "bound" to another compound or element within your body.

When someone says,"You don't drink enough water", they probably care for you! When you don't drink enough water various things happen.

First, remember that next to oxygen in the importance of life sustaining things we take into our bodies, water comes in second in importance. That is pretty high in the order of things we need to sustain life! We can live for only minutes without oxygen, and only days without water.

Here is a little known fact. When you don't get enough water for your internal organs, they begin to take water from other organs. Amazing, eh? The body knows water is to maintain life. Often we don't realize it.

When you don't get enough fluid in your tissues, your cells start to draw it from your bloodstream. Your blood will thicken (it makes sense - think about it), and it can put a strain on your heart or make you feel weak or light-headed.

Particularly for those of us who perspire profusely, you must replenish your fluids.


I've heard, "But I don't like water. It tastes awful." "I feel like I am drinking nothing and it makes me feel too full." That can be a blessing for those who want to loose a few pounds. Drink water about a half hour before a meal and you won't eat as much. Really!

When I first made the transition from wine to water, (only Jesus can turn water to wine:), I would put my ice water in a lovely crystal wine class with some ice and a twist of lemon. It looked lovely and each time I took a sip I thought "Ummmmmmm -
no calories, no headache, no organs starving for water, and no guilt!

It worked. I got in the habit and I have over the years always taken a bottle or jug of water with me where ever I go in the summer. It is mandatory.

If you need variety, drink caffeine free sports drinks or iced fruit juices (add water to keep calories down). It's fun to be creative. I like sparkling water just flavored with a twist of lemon, lime or orange peel.

Fruits and vegetables can supplement some water intake if you eat five servings a day.

Watermelon, cantaloupe, oranges, apples, and so on. Fruit in the summer is magic. For veggies how about tomatoes or carrots. Be creative.

Lastly, remember ALCOHOL and caffeinated drinks deplete your water supply.

This body will work for you for years and years, and in great health, if you just treat it with as much respect and care as you do an automobile. The requirements are easy, not as costly as auto repair, and will absolutely make you feel better!

You may not think so at first, but give it time and THINK: If I do the right things for my body and mind my spirit will function better too, and my health will improve.
That is simply the physiology of the body!

Now get up and stretch a bit, walk out to the kitchen and get a glass of water (doesn't have to be huge-just frequent). It is the nectar of God and a great healer!
ENJOY> I care!

No comments: