Monday 13 August 2007

How To Handle Difficult People - Revisited

Channel your hero. That was the point of this post. You can use different heroes depending on the situation you are in.

Anyway, read on and let me know what you think...

Allen



There is no avoiding difficult people and this especially applies to the work environment. Here is a tip that I find works for me and I would be interested in your feedback on this.

When dealing with difficult people imagine how one of your role models or heroes would deal with them. At this stage I am hoping you have positive role models!

I could imagine how would Gandhi deal with this person? Or how would the Dalai Lama or Bishop Desmond Tutu deal with this person? If you are a spiritual person you could ask yourself how would Jesus, Buddha or Mohammed deal with this? You could even use fictional characters as role models. In my case I would use Jean Luc Picard or Palmer Joss (from Contact) or Shepherd Book(from Firefly).

Using positive role models is a useful way of gaining perspective and learning patience and tolerance. Have a go with this and let me know how you get on!

Bye for now,
Allen

No comments: