Wednesday 18 July 2007

Summer Rain

It is very unusual in my hometown to get even one drop of summer rain. Last night I awoke to the sound of rain pouring on my roof. A down burst which dropped me back into my dream state with a smile on my face.

This morning it's still raining, and so after weeks of having the house closed up due to escalating temperatures (100-118), I immediately got up and opened all the windows. As I sit here writing I can hear the rain still coming down. The trees are much greener and have a luster due to the water cleaning all the leaves.

The sound of traffic has diminished and only a few heartiest of birds are singing the song welcoming dawn. It's too much temptation to resist and so I will pour a cup of hot coffee and sit on the steps just thanking my God for these drops from heaven. Water is so cleansing.

Time flies and two days have passed. Temperatures are warming. We broke two records-a low in temperature only passed in 1932, and rain amount - we got 1.25 inches and the last time it rain any amount was in 1986 (a pittance compared to this!).

I went kayaking and everything smelled fresh and the sky was clear and deep blue. The water was cooler, but I still swam and really enjoyed the outdoors.

REMEMBER: Being outdoors in fresh air and away from the city is healing! Do it if you can:).

A couple of "stress management" techniques my mama left with me, for you.
1. Never leave a room without something in both hands! It really helps as you are
always taking care of business, and it doesn't take much to get into the habit of doing this. My husband swears I take 50 things in my hands! I don't.:)

2. Double bag your trash cans. I stopped buying trash can liners as the expense was adding up. IF your stores still use plastic bags, use those to line the trash cans, and put in two or three so that when you are rushed you can just grab a bag, and your can is ready to go already! I swore (when mama was alive) that I would never do that, but you know what - listen to mama. These older folks have lived and know what they are talking about for sure!

Now take a breath. Press your shoulders back and DOWN. Take another breath! Stretch a bit - arms up in the air. Wiggle your body all over and SMILE! Someone
out here in BlogLand LOVES YOU - for real!

No comments: