Thursday 4 January 2007

My New Year's Resolutions

New year's resolutions are hard to keep. In my humble opinion it is because people try and change too much at once. It also doesn't help when the new year falls at the darkest and coldest part of the year. So if you have broken any new year's resolutions already be kind to yourself.

I have two new year's resolutions and they are very specific. They will help me move towards the goal of being a healthier and less stressed person.

Here they are then :

1) Stop drinking alcohol.

It doesn't do anything for me. I've been gradually drinking less and less over the years and I have gotten to the point now where even if I have one or two beers I feel tired and my head begins to hurt. My friends would consider me an extravert and I have a tendency to agree with them :-) so I don't think I need it to lower any inhibitions. I also have noticed how tired I feel the next day after having a few drinks. I would not count it as a hangover but more I feel my sleep has been disturbed. All and all I feel the benefits for me stopping out weigh the benefits for continuing so I am going to stop all together.

2) Practice Yoga regularly.

About ten years ago I went on a eight week yoga course in Stockholm at the Scandinavian Yoga Centre. Since then I have been practicing what I have learnt on and off but not nearly regularly enough to produce any benefits. Last year I had problems with neck and shoulder tension and I feel regular practice of yoga would reduce that tension. I know that going to the gym also helps with that but I feel like if I practice Yoga it wont matter where I am as I can do it anywhere and any time I choose. Yoga also has great benefits for your general health, digestive system and nervous system and of course it is a great method to counter stress. All and all I feel I would get a great deal of benefit from it.

Those are my two new year's resolutions. I will concentrate on those two only and I will be kind to my mistakes.

What are your new year's resolutions? Let me know!

Allen

No comments: