Thursday 11 January 2007

How to Feel Better - Change your thoughts first

Be very careful with your thoughts! Your thoughts are very powerful. Let me explain.

I have some bad habits that I am trying to improve upon. One of these habits is to "make a mountain out of a mole hill". I give things more importance than they deserve or I exaggerate a situation so something small becomes something much bigger. This habit can have a powerful affect on your sense of well being.

The mind works like this - you can't have a feeling without having a thought first. Repeat after me now - YOU CANNOT HAVE A FEELING WITHOUT HAVING A THOUGHT FIRST. I know it is hard to believe but it is true. The reason you don't realize this is that thoughts can happen so quickly we hardly notice them.

The example of two people who are in different cars in a traffic jam. One person thinks "I'm late! This traffic is not moving!!! Why doesn't it move!!! This always happens to me!!" gets frustrated and stressed and the other person thinks "Oh well I might as well kick back - I'm going to be here for a while..." and remains calm and listens to some nice music on their stereo. The same situation two different thoughts and two different feelings.

Another way thoughts can affect us is that we get what we expect to get. In our goals if we really don't think we will able to achieve something then we wont. On the other hand if you expect that you will achieve your REALISTIC goals you have a great chance at achieving them.

Be careful with how you are thinking. Your thoughts are indeed very powerful.

Good Luck!
Allen

No comments: