Wednesday 17 January 2007

How to Keep Things in Perspective - Imagine You are on The Titanic

This powerful technique has really helped me to keep things in perspective and remember what is really important in life.

This technique reminds us that we are all going to die some time and that on life's journey - we are not alone.

It goes like this. Imagine you are one of many passengers on the Titanic. The difference this time is that you know the ship is going to sink but you can't do anything about it. Nobody knows when it will happen - it could be tomorrow, it could be in 100 years. The journey WILL end. That is all you know. You are not alone though - your fellow passengers have that same knowledge. How do you see your fellow passengers now? How do they react to you? You talk among yourselves about the situation your in, you empathize with each other, your support each other and you try to make the best of the time you have left.

The more I get into the imagery of this the more compassionate I feel myself being towards others. I look around my open plan office and I realize we are all passengers on this ship called life. We are all heading to the same end - no exceptions. Shouldn't we all make the best of the time we have.

Good Luck,
Allen

No comments: