Wednesday 7 May 2008

To start the day...

...off right, decide it will be a good one from the moment you wake up.

In college, I remember going on a trip with the school newspaper staff. It was a journalism conference to be held in Colorado. It involved my first-ever airplane ride. My best friend at the time was my roommate. I was terribly excited about the whole trip. I couldn't stop smiling.

But because I'm an early riser, and she was not, she did not want to hear me say to her--ever--any words that even resembled anything remotely close to a "good morning."

But even since I was a kid, I've almost always gotten up in a good mood. Perhaps I'm lucky that way. Or maybe it's just an early-riser curse. But I still think it's a good idea to decide how to start your day the moment you wake up. So why not make it a good one?!

I think waking up with a smile on your face plants a certain kind of protection from the get-go about how you'll get through the day--even the stumbles. So what if the paper doesn't get delivered to your doorstep?! You'll call and have them send it as soon as possible. Worse-case--you'll have to read it after work, instead of with your morning cup of coffee. Who cares if the office gossip insists on making you the brunt of her words today?! Ignore her as best you can. Keep that smile on your face. Perhaps she's just jealous she isn't smiling. Maybe she'll get a clue. And if someone rear-ends you on the way home?! Well, that's not going to be a fun moment. But let let your insurance company handle it. Call the company and get the matter settled. Why waste energy getting upset? There's not much you can do about certain things, this kind of thing, in particular.

Remember, it's how you respond that matters.

Go ahead and cry, scream or yawn if that's the most appropriate or most helpful or most stress-relieving response initially. Have your bad moment. Respect it for what it is. But then put that smile back on your face and get on with the rest of your day.

It may take conscious effort to do this, but it's a habit anyone can afford.

All my best,
Jackie

No comments: