Wednesday 21 May 2008

It's a sad day

My Google alerts sent me several stories this morning about people who are getting divorced...country singer Shania Twain, actor Dylan McDermott (Didn't I just see him on a talk show not too long ago talking positively about his family?) and others. A writer colleague of mine today announced her divorce was final. And all of this news just made me feel a bit sad.

I'm sad that we can't work things out.

I'm sad that divorce is so easy.

I'm sad that we have to suffer through that kind of pain.

It reminds me of my own. And I don't think you ever really "get over" it. I believe I've written about this before. But, really, I don't think that you do. There will always be reminders.

So I guess I just want to say to you that when you arrive at those moments--those reminders--go ahead and feel them. Then let them go again. And try not to worry too much that the sadness might return. It probably will. But it's just a feeling. It's not who you are. It's not what defines you. It's just a feeling. Accept that it's there. Being able to feel your feelings makes you human. Being able to tap into feelings means you're a sensitive person. That sensitivity is what helps us understand each other.

If there's anything that you feel sad about today, post a comment about how you're dealing with it. Maybe your thoughts and ideas can help someone else.

All my best,
Jackie

No comments: