Tuesday 20 February 2007

Finding solace

To find solace in the sorrows of life one must consistently be able to elevate thoughts and hope to a higher level.

Upon reflection of my own life, I thought nothing could be worse than my own child suffering a birth defect and surgery as a small infant . Along the path tragedy has increased, side by side with joy. The sorrows with intensity I never knew I could manage.

Each circumstance laying another brick upon the foundation I perceive as my own. Each injury to my spirit coming with the assured knowledge now, that with wisdom and faith anything can be resolved. I can forge a head as a human soul and survive the most dire of circumstances.

The truth of it all is grounded in the fact that no matter what happens we have a choice in the final thoughts and position we take.

There are three steps to manage and survive this life. The first is acceptance that circumstances will happen and often times we have absolutely no control over what happens.
The only control we have 100% of the time is our response to circumstances.

The second is whether we will elevate or descend in our minds. It is always a choice.
Take a breath and think before responding.

The third is to keep hope alive and find the joy that is still all around us. Hope is eternal. Draw upon it. It resides within each of us.

Don’t let unhappy people steal your joy. Bless them, feel empathy for their pain, help them if possible, or move quickly to another place. Surround yourself with positive and loving people . Like a magnet you will all draw those positive feelings from one to another, and another.

Years ago, if someone flipped me off on the road (for whatever reason), I used to respond in like manner. Finger in the air I would say "P_ss on you!" Somewhere along the line I decided not to let anyone change my mood, or upset the organs of my body by starting a fire within me.

Now I respond with the peace sign and say "Peace on You." It surely has helped me, and perhaps unbeknown to me it has sent a message to quiet another's living soul.

My motto: "I tried being miserable. It sucked, so I gave it up." Literally.

We have only this moment to be joyful. Use it wisely and have an awesome day!

No comments: