Monday 26 February 2007

Brain Magic

"Not only can the brain learn new tricks, but it can also change its structure and function-even in old age." Sharon Begley (January 2007 Time Magazine)

Scientists are now proving that "the ability of mere thought to alter the physical structure and function of our gray matter" is NOT just an idea posed by those who participate in visualizations and meditations.

Mental practice resulted ( as seen in a series of tests) in the reorganization of the brain. The scientists also discovered that mental training had the power to change the physical structure of the brain. How cool is that!

So now we know that scientists concur with those of us who participate in mind training (such as visualizations and meditations) to be used to enhance our lives. At all ages the brain retains the ability to change its structure and function in response to thought and / or experience.

"As you thinketh, so shall you become", it seems, is more meaningful than some previously realized. We have such great, and many times, unrecognized powers to help ourselves heal, to rehearse upcoming events, to actually change our lives through our thoughts.

I choose to dwell in thought today on the following quote from a small book I read daily. It is the Daily Word.

"Because I care about myself, I choose to eliminate negative thoughts and expectations from my mind. I read literature and books that enhance my life and enrich my mind. I monitor my words and actions carefully, make sure that what I say and do is positive and caring. In blessing others I am also being blessed."

What will you think about today?

No comments: