Monday 4 February 2008

Secret #114 How Super Is Winning a Super Bowl?


It's one thing to climb the ladder of success, but it's quite another to climb the RIGHT ladder.

Just how super is winning a Super Bowl? Consider these insights by guest blogger Josh Carter:
From the outside looking in, Tom Brady appears to have the life everyone longs for, despite not winning Super Bowl XLII. But things are different on the inside. In a past interview with 60 Minutes Brady raised the question, “Why do I have three Super Bowl rings and still think there's something greater out there for me? I mean, maybe a lot of people would say, ‘Hey man, this is what is.’ I reached my goal, my dream, my life. Me, I think, ‘God, it's got to be more than this.’ I mean this isn't, this can't be what it's all cracked up to be.” When pressed to answer his own question, Brady responded, “I wish I knew.”

“My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor. Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun” (Ecclesiastes 2:10a-11).

Solomon was a man who, like Tom Brady, had accomplished many great things on earth. However, when he stepped back to admire his achievements reality set in, and he realized that of all the things he had done, nothing gave him enduring satisfaction. He described it as “meaningless, a chasing after the wind.”

Do you feel like there has got to be more to life than what you are experiencing? It is very common for many of us, because God has “set eternity in the hearts of men.” We are not created to be truly satisfied with the temporary things of this world. It is only through a relationship with Jesus Christ that we can find the lasting fulfillment we are searching for.

We must stop trying to find peace and satisfaction in the temporary things of this world and surrender our lives to Jesus. “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well” (Matthew 6:33).

Think About It...
1. Do you ever feel like your “chasing after the wind” in life? What causes this feeling?
2. When have you felt like you were doing something that has eternal value?
3. What step is God calling you to take today? (Pray about it.)

“Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man” (Ecclesiastes 12:13).

What God Says...
Matthew 16:24-27; Romans 1:21-25; 1 Corinthians 2:6-14
To read the article on Tom Brady or watch the interview,
GO HERE.

No comments: