Friday 8 February 2008

The disappearing act -- it could be a good thing

Well, I did it again. I got busy with life and work and endless other things and disappeared on you.

If you've never felt the need to escape from an obligation, or from anything that's going on in your life--good or bad--I'd be surprised. That's what happened to me. I needed to eliminate one thing off my list of things to do. The blog just happened to be that one thing I knew I could let go for a while. I've always known I'd come back here, but I needed to take a break so I could take care of business.

That means I've been doing other BIKE-related work, instead. I've been working on my BIKE Lessons class, for one thing. I began teaching the BIKE philosophy to women at a homeless shelter this week. I'm excited to report that they really get it, and they'll be coming back next week to learn more. They don't have to; it's their choice, and I'm happy to accommodate them. I'll be working with them for four weeks, offering them an opportunity to choose to learn about a new tool they can use in their recovery. What they learn in my class will help make their life transition less stressful and hopefully more productive. As always, the BIKE is about forward movement.

When you feel the need to escape or to set something aside for awhile, it's important to listen to that feeling or that need. It may come from fear. It may come from doubt. It may come from stress. Wherever it originates, I've learned that it's okay to "disappear" for a while. I'm not talking about abandoning responsibilities or family or anything drastic like that. I'm referring to the recognition that you may not be able to do all things all at once, or all the time. Perhaps your work has been derailed by something you have no control over, and because of that, you may not have it in you this week or this month--or this year--to be all things to all people.

There are times when you simply don't have it in you to cope. When you feel that kind of pressure, it is time to step back and reconsider where your attention needs to be. My guess is that it probably needs to be on you.

You probably need down time.

You can choose to take a break, go on a vacation, find a quiet place to reflect or feel what you're feeling, or even change jobs if that's what it takes to feel balanced and whole again.

I encourage you to listen to what your body, your reactions, or your feelings are trying to tell you. Don't ignore your gut instinct. Your needs will make themselves known somehow. Just listen for them. Then, take a step forward and do one thing that turns your attention back towards you.

When you pay attention soon enough, you'll see your disappearing act from others unfold in a gentle manner. And then, when it's time, you'll find yourself easing back into your regularly scheduled program.

That's what happened to me. And it may happen again, because in the coming weeks, I begin work on my very first book. It's a travel guide called Backroads & Byways of Arizona. Countryman Press will publish it in the spring of 2009. I'm very excited about the project. I'm thrilled I have the opportunity to work on it. But it will be getting in the way of my work here. The BIKE may again slow down. I urge you to be gentle with me, be gentle with yourself, and keep riding anyway.

I know I will be.

All my best,
Jackie

No comments: