Monday 18 February 2008

New beginnings

What if you treated every day as a new beginning? What if you woke up and just knew that today was the day you started that new job, read that book you've been meaning to read, or ordered the business cards for that new business you've been hesitant to begin?

What if you started your day out like that?

Wouldn't that be something?

It would mean you were beginning to trust yourself, to trust in your ideas, to have faith in your ability. It would mean you had decided to let yourself enjoy your life and connect with what you love, what you know you can do, and what you're most passionate about.

I share this with you because I look back on the past few years, where I've been, where I'm going, and I see nothing but growth. Last summer, I wanted to sell a book idea, and I'm now on the verge of having two books to write. Twice what I wanted. I wanted to teach my BIKE lessons, and now I'm near the end of my first class. It's being very well received, and I'm so thrilled. I wanted to increase the number of national markets I would write for, and I did that as well. Those successes are proof that you can do what you decide to do. It just takes action. Just like the message behind the famous remark by the German philosopher Johann Wolfgang von Goethe:


Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it; boldness has genius, power and magic within it.


That phrase has returned and returned to me in various forms throughout my life, and it's continued to serve me well. It's a symbolic reminder, and I think I'll use that in my BIKE lesson this coming Wednesday to the group of women at Homeward Bound. I'm teaching them about listening to their gut, and I can see in their eyes and hear in their voices that they're willing. But they don't yet have the full faith in themselves. Some day they will.

Some day, sooner than they think, they'll wake up knowing they can accomplish good things in life.

I hope they'll let me know about it when it happens.

Here's an exercise for you to try: Count the number of accomplishments you've had this past week. Write them down on a piece of paper and post them where you can see them every day. On the mirror in your bathroom, for example. Use that note as a reminder to yourself that every day brings the opportunity to move that much closer to your goal. Whatever it is you have yet to do, you can start today. You can be bold.

All my best,
Jackie

No comments: