Sunday 20 January 2008

when the unexpected happens, just handle it!

You could have knocked me over with a feather when on my husband's one day off, he said, "You go to so much work making your tacos, let's invite dad and mom over for dinner."

First of all, last week he said, "I've had enough of them for a while". Secondly, the irony of it is to me, if I work sooooo hard to cook - then let's invite two people over so you have to cook more food, chop more side dishes, set a fancier table, and make sure the house is cleaned up (oh yes, and more dishes!).

Perhaps it was a compliment, and I am now ready for company in half an hour. He now is saying, "Hmmmmm. Kind of wished I hadn't asked them over!" :)

"Yeah", I thought, "Could have ran naked in the house!" Oh well.

When he brought up the idea I told him - "It's your day off-whatever you want to do is fine with me." I meant it. Marriage is a give and take partnership and he holds up his end of the bargain - so I am too. Anyway, life is fleeting and I do love my in-laws (now that they love me after being nasty to me 15 out of 20 years). That was their problem.

So whenever a problem or change in plans arise - take a breath and ACCEPT what it is.
There is another way - fight it and have a fight! But if it's reasonable, keep the peace with love and a positive response, and it will come back to you! I promise.

Now it's taco time.

No comments: