Wednesday 9 January 2008

Restraint Use

I recently read about a nursing home who was fined $20,000 for unnessarily restraining patients. This brought to my mind the question, what types of restraints are being used now and are they really more safe?

When I first starting out in nursing, we used belts quite a few times. I have heard of lots of stories and even seen a few "hangings" where patients slipped out of the chair or bed and hung themselves with those belts. Sure glad that those things are of the past!

What about wrist restraints? It's not like we're restraining ALL of the patient, but those can be so misused also! I've seen patients tied to the bed with such force that their hands are blue... Not Good! I've also seen very good uses of these type of restraints, and yes, I do believe that these are much better than some of the other restraints. You might also try the mits that give the patient full range of motion, but keep them from picking at IV lines, foley catheters, or feeding tubes.

One of the best ideas that I have seen in a long time is a tent type of restraint. The patient is in a "tent" which has zippers and a nylon screen. This allows the patient to be more free in the tent, but doesn't necessarily "tie" the patient to the bed! The can move alot more and therefore it doesn't seem to bother them as much. This is a lifesaver on a unit with traumatic brain injuries!

What are some of your ideas for less restraints?

No comments: