Monday 19 March 2007

How to Keep Perspective - Have a Death Day

Photo By N. Ireland Wallpapers / Desktop Backgrounds


Hi there...

I was listening to the radio today and there was a debate on how MORTAL we all our and how we forget this and get worried about all the small things in life.

I remember having a bit of a health scare once and as soon as I got the all clear I thought to myself "I am so glad to be alive! I am never going to let the small things in life get me down ever again!"... I spent more time with my friends and family and my priorities lay with the relationships I had with people and not with false paths to happiness such as career or material possessions or lack there of.

This feeling lasted for a few months but after a while I slipped back into worrying about money, jobs and where my career was going. I started sweating the small stuff!

Well, a caller phoned into this radio show and spoke of how he celebrated his death day. He picked a date in the future based on the average age of a man (women get to live longer) and nominated a date of that year to be his death day. He said its a wonderful way of keeping things in perspective and bringing your attention away from the worries about the past or the future - to thinking about the here and now.

So today I chose my death day and that is November 1st 2045. Statistically speaking I will probably be dead by then and even if I celebrate my death day only once per year it will certainly give me the kick up the bum I need to keep things in perspective.

So when is your death day? What do you think about this idea? Let me know!

Allen

No comments: