Tuesday 14 October 2008

No more self-help books...what?!

Yesterday, I asked you what you were reading and made reference to a list of self-help books I've posted here before. Then, I came across this blog post at US News & World Report. I was nearly shattered by the title, "Don't buy another self-help book"?! Why not? I wanted to know. Crazy statement, I thought. What's wrong with them? I asked myself.

Nothing, the post says. But you have to read the ones you have first.

Whew!

Thank goodness, right? Especially for those of us who are writing or have written and are expecting to sell copies of our own self-help books. It's the same with this author. He was just making the point that you won't get the self-help you're seeking if you're not reading the books. He wants you to read the ones that you already have. He wants you to read his. But he doesn't want you to waste your money. Just having the book on your shelf isn't good enough. But how many of us do just that?

He makes a good point, and it might be worth your while to read what he has to say.

He's got plenty more that's worth reading I discovered. Check out this guy, Curt Rosengren (the "Passion Catalyst") at his blog. He makes a lot of sense.

All my best,
Jackie

No comments: