Friday 28 July 2006

The Worry Hour

Here is a technique that has helped me through some rough times.

When you are stressed and worried its hard to stop yourself from dwelling on those worries. It is like if I were to say to you now - do not think about a pink elephant. No matter how hard you try not to the image of a pink elephant pops into your head.

Likewise, if you have an exam coming up or a driving test, it is natural to worry about it. At the same time those natural worries are keeping you awake at night or the constant worry during the day is wearing you out.

Well here is a tip that might help. Have a worry hour. Pick a time of day and say to yourself - I am going to allow myself to worry about X, Y or Z at that specific time and the rest of the time I am not going to think about those worries. So you have made a date with yourself in the future to worry about your problems. You don't need to worry about them now. You have your worry hour for that. The same goes for trying to sleep at night. You don't need to worry then you have your worry hour tomorrow for that.

Give it a go. It worked for me..

A.

No comments: