Wednesday 17 September 2008

Time for renewal

As the summer comes to a close and fall arrives, I've noticed a feeling of renewal within myself.

I took some time off to turn my attention to other things, namely, my book project, but found out that I missed the regular blog posting activity here. Now I'm back with a renewed sense of self. This could be due to the nicer weather outside here in Arizona, and to the fact that I'm hiking again. Exercise can fix a lot of things. But no matter the reason, it's good to feel refreshed, renewed and ready to take on a new season.

I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Many times throughout the year (Maybe it's quarterly? It wouldn't surprise me, if that were true.), I find myself needing some time out, or a change of some sort or another. If I'm paying attention to that "need," then I'll step back and attempt to see the whole picture. I usually find that I may be focusing on one thing too much and not spreading out my self-care enough. Think about it. We have to take care of our physical side, our emotional side, our intellectual side, and our spiritual side. That's a lot to care abut. But it's important that we do. When we don't, that's when we start to feel off-kilter. That's when we begin to feel an overwhelm. We forget to think minfully. We're just going through the motions.

After weeks of that, we start to feel sluggish. Bored, even. And if we're not careful, we'll hit a depressed state of mind.

Oops!

We know then that something's missing, right?

That's exactly how I'd been feeling not too long ago. In fact, I was so sluggish, I didn't feel like to going to any of my meetings, seeing friends, or even exercising. It was all I could do to make a date and stick to it. I just didn't have it in me. I was on overload and feeling overwhelmed.

Whew!

I had to get a handle on that, or it was going to pull me down too far, far enough that who knows when I'd get back up again. Luckily, my BIKE calls me on this. It reminds me that I have it in me to overcome this. I have the mental tool to use to get back on the right track. Once I was willing to notice this and act on it, I was able to step back and consider what I was missing. What was I NOT taking care of?

Once I asked myself that question, I had to answer it, of course. It's really very simple. The BIKE is there; listen to it; and do what is says. That's your internal system working, but it needs a tune-up every now and then, doesn't it?

So I started paying attention, answered the questions and realized the first thing I should pay more attention to was my body. It needed exercise. So I got busy with that. And then it told me that I needed to watch my diet. Figures. My goodness, I was eating whatever was easiet. Not good. So I started watching that. Then everything else just seemed to fall into place. More importantly, my attitude shifted.

Paying attention made me become aware. And once I became aware, I could attend to what my body, mind and soul was seeking. I'm now exercising daily again, paying more attention to my diet, and getting connected spiritually. All of this is so important to reconnect with the vigor that is supposed to be my life. Now that I feel its return, I'm good to go. I can get out more. I can call people. I can get back to work and know that I'll accomplish what I need to get done and more.

It was definitely time for my renewal.

Are you need of a renewal as well? Could the mental BIKE assist you. If so, post your comment. I'd love to hear from you.

All my best,
Jackie

No comments: