Friday 25 April 2008

Let People Have a Bad Day.



So much for all my time management. I was running late, I had a bus to catch at 12.30 and the only way I was going to make it was to put my head down and run like the blazes. So there I was, my long lanky legs trying to move faster than they had moved in a long time. As I approached the bus stop, my chest felt like it was being soundly beaten with a rather large mallet.

The bus pulled up, the doors opened and I hopped onto the bus to be met by a very sullen bus driver.
"Phew",I sighed, "I just made it and no more!"
Silence.
"That was a tough run.", I continued.
More silence.
"How much is a single journey to the village of Killyleagh?"
A rather annoyed glare from the bus driver as he reached down for his list of fares.
"Three pounds fifty." he grumbled back at me.

I handed him the money and headed into the bus to find a seat. Who did he think he was? I should have said something to him! I should have complained about his attitude. How dare he treat me like that! These were all the thoughts that were running, hot tempered through my head.

I eventually found a free seat beside a smiling elderly woman. She greeted me with a warm "Hello sonny". I calmed down a little. I then told her about the attitude of the bus driver. I told her about how it had gotten my blood boiling. She looked at me calmly, rested her hand on my arm and with a warm compassionate smile said

"We all have bad days. Let him have his."

This one sentence totally changed the way I was feeling. We are all only human. We all indeed have our bad days. If someone is rude to you, or has a bad attitude towards you, remember it most likely has nothing to do with you. Do not take it personally. They might be having their bad day. Do not let it get to you. Learn to shrug your shoulders and let them have their bad day. You will be a much happier and calmer person.

Good Luck,
Allen

No comments: