Monday 9 October 2006

How To Deal with Difficult People

There is no avoiding difficult people and this especially applies to the work environment. Here is a tip that I find works for me and I would be interested in your feedback on this.

When dealing with difficult people imagine how one of your role models or heroes would deal with them. At this stage I am hoping you have positive role models!

I could imagine how would Gandhi deal with this person? Or how would the Dalai Lama or Bishop Desmond Tutu deal with this person? If you are a spiritual person you could ask yourself how would Jesus, Buddha or Mohammed deal with this? You could even use fictional characters as role models. In my case I would use Jean Luc Picard or Palmer Joss (from Contact) or Shepherd Book(from Firefly).

Using positive role models is a useful way of gaining perspective and learning patience and tolerance. Have a go with this and let me know how you get on!

Bye for now,
Allen

No comments: