Monday 25 September 2006

5 Ways To Avoid The Gym and Still Get Exercise

Photo By N. Ireland Wallpapers / Desktop Backgrounds


I realise a lot of my posts here ar just common sense but common sense is a very easy thing to forget. If everyone operated under common sense all of the time I wonder how our world would be? So the following tips are all common sense but I think a usefull reminder for all of us.

About a year ago I suffered a neck injury. Part of my rehab was to go to the gym and strengthen the neck and shoulder muscles and I still attend the gym to this day. I don't pay anything for the gym as my my day job provides this as a benefit. I was there the other day when I noticed a number of people walking on the treadmills and it got me to thinking. Why are these people walking here? Why don't they walk outside? Why do they have to come to the gym?

A lot of people pay hefty gym fees in order to do something they usually don't enjoy and because they don't enjoy it they usually give up on it. Exercise is very important and one thing that annoys me is how gym class in school is managed. Its all about competition, performance and criticism when you don’t measure up to a certain standard. It puts people off physical activity for life! What happened to doing exercises for the sake of it or just having fun!

There now follows five tips on how to get some exercise without having to go to the gym.


1) Learn to Walk again.

Walk in the nature and enjoy the environment. Walk with friends and enjoy their company. Instead of going to the canteen for a coffee on your work breaks - go for a walk around the block. Get other people involved! Make it fun! Get the bus to work and get off one stop early so you have to walk the rest. Get a dog and he/she will force you to walk everyday!!


2) Do chores without the labor saving devices.

Sweep your floors and if you have a carpet use a carpet sweeper instead of a vacuum cleaner! If you don’t know what a carpet sweeper is Google it..I find sweeping a great exercise! Polish, scrub, clean and work up a sweat. Work in the garden. Mow the lawn with a push lawn mower instead of an electric or petrol powered one. Do DIY around your house.

3) Change your habits.

Spend more time outdoors. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Be as active as you can. Cycle to work if possible! If you live in a warm climate go for a morning swim outdoors. As stated in point one, have walk breaks instead of coffee breaks.

4) Learn something new.
Take lessons in a non-competitive activity e.g. Yoga, Pilates, dancing or even learn how to sail a boat! Going to classes is a great way to be active and learn something while you are doing it!

5) Make it Regular and Make it Fun!

If you make it fun you will return to it. If you keep returning it will become a regular habit. If you are into sports do something you enjoy and do it because you like it not because you keep winning. I used to play lots of Squash and lost on a regular basis but I loved it! I didn't notice how much exercise I was getting until the end of the game - I was having so much fun. There are lots of alternative sports to choose from! Have you tried Paintball or laser quest? Have you tried Frisbee golf? Just find something you enjoy and before you know it you will be fit, healthy and happier!

Good Luck,
Allen

No comments: